Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meet Emma...Owner



I grew up on a small farm in Montana as my mother's daughter and my fathers son- doing anything and everything that a farm "worker" is expected to do. My first language was Finnish, and then I learned English. Growing up in this environment, no one ever told me "girls don't do that"and so I've never been one to hold back or refrain from attempting to do things. This also means that I set high expectations for myself, and that I don't expect anyone else to do something that i can't or won't do. I expect the best from myself and others.

I am a wife, mother of 3 Adult children, grandmother of 6 (ages 6-15), Educator, leader and businesswoman. Because neither of my parents were able to go to school beyond the 8 th grade, education was something that they set as a goal for my sister and I. We both completed our doctorates and have taught at the University level. I'm very proud of my 19 years at Idaho State University, and the fact that I achieved full professor, tenured prior to leaving the university in 1993 to assume a leadership role in our businesses.

I've been the store director for Crafts, Inc since 1996, both during the time we were Crafts & Frames at 1570 Yellowstone, and now for the last 4 years while We've been Sierra's at 4140 Yellowstone.

In my leisure time I enjoy reading, quilting, knitting/crocheting, hiking, biking, whitewater rafting and other outdoor activities. My active lifestyle has been impacted for the past 2 years as a result of the negative reaction to bisphosphonates, but I have now been released to resume a "normal"level of activity-whatever that means for me!

Why do i craft? I craft for enjoyment, to free my mind from the concerns of the day, and because I love the beauty of what is created.

My most favorite product in the store is not a product but COLOR! I really enjoy color and helping consumers to create, blend and mix colors whether it is for a quilt, a framed project, paper craft or Floral displays.